IELTS Speaking Part 2 & 3 | Topic: Contest/Competition
Đề bài: Describe a contest/ competition you would like to participate.
You should say:
- What the contest/ competition is about
- Where the contest/ competition will take place
- When it will be held
- And explain why you would like to participate in it
|What the contest/ competition is about
|To be honest, I was once by no means a competitive person, let alone taking an interest in a competition. I tried to avoid competition since I prefer to work independently and without interference from others. However, for the last couple of years, I have always tried to broaden my horizons, so I decided to involve myself in an English teaching contest, called the “Teaching Cre-aid-tion”, hosted by my university last year.
|Where the contest/ competition will take place
|“Teaching Cre-aid-tion” is an English-devised lesson plans competition, when participants make an innovative application, and demonstrate in front of a model classroom. Students from any school can participate and freely show their abilities, interact, and share knowledge about teaching with others at this event.
|When it will be held
|This is an annual competition at my school. The competition consists of two rounds: the qualifying round and the final round. The qualifying one will take place every early March when participants submit their own lesson plan and a short video demonstrating the teaching methods. And for the next 2 months, judges will look over and evaluate the contenders’ qualifying entries, before the final round occurs.
|And explain why you would like to participate in it
|The reason why I chose this contest is that I want to accumulate more teaching experience from the teachers in my Department of English, interact with students sharing similar interests, foster understanding and expand new relationships. And I believe it will be beneficial for me in building my confidence and honing my teaching skills.
Từ vựng và cụm từ
- by no means/not by any means (idiom): not at all: không chút nào, chắc chắn không phải là
- let alone (phrase): used to emphasize that something is more impossible than another thing: chưa kể đến, huống chi
- interference (noun): an occasion when someone tries to interfere in a situation: sự can thiệp, cản trở
- broaden/expand/widen someone’s horizons (idiom): to increase the range of things that someone knows about or has experienced: mở rộng tầm nhìn
- model classroom: a classroom that supports teachers in developing strategies to extend and recognize the learning that takes place outside the classroom: lớp học giả định
- look over (phrasal verb): to examine something to see how good, big, etc. it is: xem xét
- evaluate (verb): to form an opinion of the amount, value, or quality of something after thinking about it carefully: đánh giá
- contender (noun): a person or team with a chance of winning a competition: ứng cử viên
- accumulate (verb): to gradually get more and more of something over a period of time: tích lũy
- hone (verb) a skill: to sharpen skills: mài giũa kĩ năng
1/ What are the contests commonly seen on TV programs?
There is a wide range of such shows on TV, catering to viewers of all ages and interests, such as cooking, singing, fashion designing, investing, and so on. However, recently, in Vietnam, music competitions have become the most popular among local viewers, and many are dying to participate in them. In particular, Vietnamese rap music has recently taken the whole country by storm due to the production of two TV shows called “Rap Viet” and “King of Rap”. This is the first time rap music and its artists have made their way on national television, challenging prejudices against them and gaining popularity among the public.
2/ Why are competition shows popular?
I assume that this could be attributed to a host of reasons, but the most significant one is that these programs serve as excellent sources of inspiration and motivation for the viewers. As we watch the participants go from zero to hero, we begin to wonder if each of us has what it take to overcome every obstacle in our lives and achieve greatness. Moreover, such shows have enticing prizes. With monetary rewards, the winners of these contests will undoubtedly enjoy fame, and upcoming promising careers, and receive red-carpet treatment everywhere they go.
3/ What kinds of industries need competition? Why?
There are numerous competitive events taking place today in various industries. But in my view, sports should be a competitive market since athletes can both pursue their dreams and make a lot of money from these pursuits. Competition in sports can show our strengths and hidden skills. It’s also the one that we can represent our nation. In Vietnam, football is the most common sport and it acquires the reputation as The King of Sports. The cheering and chanting of the crowd and the roar when our national team scores a goal never fails to excite us when Vietnam made a phenomenal breakthrough by winning the South East Asia regional Cup in 2018.
Từ vựng và cụm từ
- cater to somebody/ something (phrasal verb): to give people exactly what they want: phục vụ
- be dying to do something: to very much want to have, eat, drink, or do something: rất muốn làm gì đó
- take the whole country by storm: trở nên phổ biến nhanh chóng
- challenging prejudices: thách thức định kiến
- be attributed to (phrasal verb): to say or think that something is the result or work of something or someone else: là do…
- zero to hero (idiom): a situation in which someone changes quickly from being unpopular or unsuccessful to being very popular or successful: chỉ những người vươn lên từ hèn khó và trở thành sao sáng
- enticing (adjective): something that is enticing is so attractive and interesting that you want to have it or know more about it: lôi cuốn
- monetary rewards: rewards given to employees that have a definitive monetary value: tiền thù lao, tiền thưởng
- red-carpet treatment: to treat someone with special care and attention: đón tiếp nồng hậu
- to acquire its reputation for something (phrasal verb): nổi tiếng về cái gì
- to make a phenomenal breakthrough: đã có 1 bước chuyển biến tuyệt vời/ phi thường